Friday, November 26, 2010

Making Merry Gifts

This year my goal is to make lots and lots of homemade goodies for my friends and family.  Many of those gifts involve my sewing machine and my serger. The first project checked off my list was my countdown chain and #2 on that same list was a set of these:
I am s-l-o-w-l-y steering my family toward the trend of going paperless, and by that I mean less buying of paper napkins, paper towels and paper plates. I know they are convenient to use, but they are so costly, and take up so much room in my trash can, not to mention the landfills where they ultimately end up.

Here's a set of Christmas-themed flannel fabric towels that I am gifting this year:
It's a set of 6 all bundled up with a twill tape and decorative tag. The towels measure 10x10 and are made with soft flannel on one side and terry cloth on the other. I use a similar set in my kitchen for cleaning up spills around the sink. They are super absorbent and have saved me from wasting countless paper towels. I didn't have a tutorial when I made these, but I first serged the edges and then top-stitched around the perimeter so they would hold their shape after being washed.

And last up, a quickie card I made for a friend:
This was a quick card using a sticker from my Christmas stash, a fiskars edge punch, some twine and a cute tree die from Quickutz.

See you next time!

No comments: